About 1830, a break with the previous style occurred, so that the architectural currents in the Europe of the day could be registered directly in the architecture. The new nation state emphasised a Historicism which could serve to buttress the historical justification for the bourgeois nation state. In Denmark, architects at first imported styles from Britain, Germany, France and Italy. Later, a special Nordic National Romanticism was created.
The old court house in Esbjerg from 1892 consists of two buildings, both of which are listed. The property is a significant example of the historicist style, placed on the corner of the central town square.Read more
Thisted's old town hall is a fine example of
19th Century provincial town halls built in the eclectic
"historicist" style. Built in 1853 to a design by Michael G.
Bindesbøll, the town hall is beautifully situated facing the main
The St. Heddinge court house was designed by Jørgen Hansen Koch while the surrounding walls and outhouses were designed by Georg Kretz. The Court House is considered the prototype of the new town halls erected throughout the country at the end of absolutism.Read more
The town hall was built in 1843-45 to a design by Royal Building Inspector Peter Kornerup. The town hall is one of the earliest and quite rare examples of the neo-Gothic style in Denmark. The house is centrally located in the town, facing the old castle with its famous 'Goose Tower'.Read more
Fredericia's town hall was
built in 1860 following a design by architect Ferdinand Meldahl. It
served its original dual purpose of court house and prison until
2003, albeit in later years solely as court house for the criminal
The restoration of the historic house, Kalines House, aims at ensuring the proliferation of the island's centuries old building practice. Kalines House is the first part of the project 'Seaweed Houses on Læsø' - also see The Modern Seaweed HouseRead more
The Grey Lighthouse in Skagen was built 1858 after drawings by the Danish architect N.S. Nebelong. It is situated on the center of Skagen Odde, and shoots 46 meters up in the sky - making it the second tallest lighthouse in Denmark.Read more
The building was designed by architect
Bernhard Seidelin and built in 1858 to support the navy's
activities on Holmen and in Nyboder. Designed as a school for girls
it functioned as such for barely 10 years after which it housed the
Sorø town hall was designed by architect Vilhelm
Tvede and built in 1880 after a fire had destroyed the previous,
neo-classicistic, town hall from 1844, of which only the prison
wing exists today.