Public offices are buildings which, in former times, the State would erect for the work of public officials, often combined with official residence and frequently designed by the prominent architects of the day, who thus provided even small provincial towns with buildings of high architectural value. Realdania Byg's collection includes a large number of town halls, courthouses and local gaols from all over the country, from the last classicist town hall in Store Heddinge via the first historicist town hall in Vordingborg to one of the last town halls to be built in this latter style, in the new town of Esbjerg in 1892.
The old court house in Esbjerg from 1892 consists of two buildings, both of which are listed. The property is a significant example of the historicist style, placed on the corner of the central town square.Read more
Thisted's old town hall is a fine example of 19th Century provincial town halls built in the eclectic "historicist" style. Built in 1853 to a design by Michael G. Bindesbøll, the town hall is beautifully situated facing the main town square.
The St. Heddinge court house was designed by Jørgen Hansen Koch while the surrounding walls and outhouses were designed by Georg Kretz. The Court House is considered the prototype of the new town halls erected throughout the country at the end of absolutism.Read more
The town hall was built in 1843-45 to a design by Royal Building Inspector Peter Kornerup. The town hall is one of the earliest and quite rare examples of the neo-Gothic style in Denmark. The house is centrally located in the town, facing the old castle with its famous 'Goose Tower'.Read more
Fredericia's town hall was built in 1860 following a design by architect Ferdinand Meldahl. It served its original dual purpose of court house and prison until 2003, albeit in later years solely as court house for the criminal court.
In 1681, the canal of Frederiksholm was dug and a depot serving the construction works on the city's fortification was established. The present buildings, military property until 2007, date from the 1740s onwards.Read more
The Grey Lighthouse in Skagen was built 1858 after drawings by the Danish architect N.S. Nebelong. It is situated on the center of Skagen Odde, and shoots 46 meters up in the sky - making it the second tallest lighthouse in Denmark.Read more
The house and the adjoining garden constitute one of architect Hack Kampmann's finest works, which exemplifies the local and regional architectural influence on early 20th-century state buildings.Read more
The House of the Harbour Master was built in 1905 following drawings by architect Ulrik Plesner. The building originally served as port office as well as homes for the harbour master and his two attendants.Read more
Sorø town hall was designed by architect Vilhelm Tvede and built in 1880 after a fire had destroyed the previous, neo-classicistic, town hall from 1844, of which only the prison wing exists today.