Next to the Marble Church in Copenhagen Realdania By & Byg has built a new mixed-use residential and commercial building. The house is designed by the English architect Tony Fretton and named after the historic site on which it is situated. Each one of the book's three main sections can be read on its own; each one makes its own attempt, from its own special point of view, to encircle Tietgens Agony.
In 1894 the industrialist, financier and developer C.F. Tietgen completed the Frederiks Kirke, or the Marble Church, as it has become known, that had been abandoned since 1770. At the same time he realized Frederiksgade, a square of apartment buildings around the church, to the design of architect Ferdinand Meldahl. These works were intended to bring to completion Copenhagen’s Frederiksstaden district, which had been initiated in 1749 by King Frederick V with four palaces designed by Court Architect Nicolai Eigtved in the Rococo style, around an octagonal plaza.
With this publication, Realdania Byg aims to provide the interested reader with the possibility of zooming in on the new building and its history.
Each one of the book’s three main sections can be read on its own; each one makes its own attempt, from its own special point of view, to encircle the new house. By way of introduction, Professor Ole Lange sketches out a portrait of Carl Frederik Tietgen and the historical context of The Thorn in Tietgen’s Side. In his contribution, the British architect, Tony Fretton, throws light on circumstances and certain considerations related to the creation and design ofthe architectural work. Finally, in the book’s third section, Associate Professor/Architect Peter Thule Kristensen offers an analysis of Tietgen’s Agony and an architectural-historic placement of the finished building.